Parts, Purposes and Complexities

A few other teachers and I decided to take one of Harvard’s Zero Project’s online courses named “Thinking and Learning in the Maker-Centered Classroom”. As part of this course, we are collaborating on a shadow puppet play that involves the disciplines of science, music, art and the script skills of some of our English Learners.

One of the tasks of the class was to have students take apart something and look closely at the pieces. We, as teachers, did it first by taking apart an old pencil sharpener. My students are working with the theme of light for the shadow puppet play so to connect with that theme we took apart flashlights. Here are some of their discoveries:


Sphero Watercraft Challenge

We started off this year with a challenge involving our Sphero robotics. Students had to stay within a material budget of $15 and create a watercraft that could deliver 10-20 pennies across our pool and back. Students that were able to complete the challenge had to consider the scientific properties of the materials they were using and consider how to best position the Sphero to maximize their ability to move through the water. Here are some photos of our trials and our final challenge. It proved to be more difficult than the students thought it would be! It would be interesting to try this again at the end of the year and see how they fare…


Studio B

Teaching new and innovative classes tasks some risk and also is a bit of balancing act for teachers who take on these very important ventures.  Last year, I split my time between Flynn and the Burlington Technical Center.  At BTC I was tasked with creating a new pre-tech program and also creating a maker space.  Below are some pictures from the space and a write up done by Lucie Delabruere who used the space for her summer maker class.


Lucie´s blog post about Studio B can be found here:


2016-17 STEAM Mash Up

We had an exciting year last year with many integrative and engaging projects for our students at Flynn.  Below is a bit of a visual mash up of these projects.

The highlights of the 2016-17 school year was a collaborative mosaic project, inspired by local artist Peter Katz, with Generator, 5th grade team, Art and STEAM.  The students each created a beautiful wooden mosaic that exemplified their understanding of their ecosystem unit.  Also, we created an Arduino (external hard drive) controlled weather station to gather data about weather right on Flynn campus!  You can see it on the south side of Flynn´s roof.  You can access our live weather data here:


Diving into Wind Energy

As part of the fourth grade energy unit, students and teachers spend time discussing and learning about renewable energy;  itś pros and cons and how different methods work.  To integrate and allow students a deeper look into wind energy, in STEAM we have been investigating wind turbine models.  We explored the following questions:

  • How does this turbine model connect to Michael Faraday´s research on electromagnetism?
  • How does the wind energy transfer to electricity?
  • Does the number of blades affect voltage created?
  • Does the angle of blades affect voltage created?

Additionally, each group learned how to accurately read a volt meter, keep data and even tried to see if they could produce enough electricity with the turbine model to light a small bulb!

Design Thinking for Second Graders

Lately I have been reading a lot about design thinking, as I begin to write new curriculum for the Burlington Technical Centerś Pre Tech and Maker Space programs.  The most engaging and interesting information I have found so far live on Stanfordś design thinking site: and on NuVuś site:  Both sites are fairly different as one school is a college and one a high school, but both bring to light some interesting thoughts when it comes to process and design thinking.

In the last month, second graders have been wrapping their heads around the idea of how seeds travel and why this affects why plants replication.  We had a great adventure in the back field area of Flynn searching for ¨evidence¨ of how seeds do this.  If students didn´t know what or were able to identify wild grapes, milkweed and burdock, they now do.

To fit in some design thinking to compliment this investigation, I asked students to design and create their own seeds that had to travel in a specific way.   Most wanted to design seeds that traveled by air, while a daring few chose my personal favorite; explosion.  Students dove into building, but soon realized that this task may be harder than they think.

One of the really great intersections of science and engineering in this challenge is the idea of properties (science vocabulary also present in the second grade matter unit).  Students had to be aware of the properties of the real seeds they were trying to mimic in order to create one of their own that was successful.